These 4 Walls began with a research and development project in 2021.
As part of the research and development, we worked with a number of community groups to explore how lockdown impacted people’s lives and mental health.
Visual Artist and collaborator, Nicola Flower, worked with community groups to develop a pair of curtains that featured embroidery completed by local makers. Members of the public wrote words that summed up lockdown on a speech bubble. These were then made into embroidery packs and distributed in Gravesend. The speech bubbles were embellished and the completed embroidery featured on the curtains.
Daisy and Nicola ran a workshop at Trinity Laban for adults. Participants explored the themes through movement and created their own solos, which were developed into this film:
For many students, their dance training moved online during lockdown. Bird College students were invited to create solos in their home spaces that reflected their experience:
During the research and development, DFDC worked with Applause For Thought.
If you, or someone you know, are seeking support with mental health, please reach out. Here is a list of helpful resources:
- SHOUT- free 24/7 text service for anyone in crisis.Text 85258
- Samaritans- Freephone 24/7 116 123 www.samaritans.org
- Refuge- 24/7 domestic violence helpline 0808 2000 247 www.refuge.org.uk
- Addaction- addiction support www.addaction.org.uk
- Anxiety UK- www.anxietyuk.org.uk
- Depression UK- www.depresisonuk.org
- Association for Postnatal Illness- www.apni.org
- Beat- Support with eating disorders- www.b-eat.co.uk
- Harmless- self harm support- www.harmless.org.uk
- Switchboard LGBT- www.switchboard.lgbt
Black Minds Matter- www.blackmindsmatter.co.uk